Bee Stings And Babies: How To Spot And Treat Anaphylactic Shock In Babies

It is estimated that anywhere from .4 to 4 percent of the population has severe allergic reactions to bee stings or insect bites. Allergic reactions can affect anyone at any age. Even your infant is at risk. The best way to keep your baby from having an allergic reaction is to prevent them from coming into contact with bees, but that's not always practical when you want to enjoy the warm weather in the summertime. Therefore, you should learn how to spot and treat anaphylaxis in babies. 

Symptoms of Anaphylactic Shock

Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction in babies usually appear within a few minutes to a few hours after initial contact, so monitor your baby closely for several hours after they get stung. It can be a bit more difficult to spot and treat anaphylaxis in infants, especially since they can't tell you how they're feeling. You need to have a keen eye to watch out for symptoms. Common symptoms of anaphylaxis in babies include swelling of the lips, throat, tongue or face as well as wheezing, rapid pulse, hives, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, blue skin and loss of consciousness. 

Initial Treatment of Anaphylactic Shock

If you suspect that your baby is having a severe allergic reaction, call 911 immediately. While you're waiting for paramedics to arrive, lay them down and elevate their feet, talking to them to keep them calm. Do not give your baby any antihistamines. They may be too young for the medication, and they may also have trouble swallowing it. Just wait for paramedics to get there. 

Preventing Anaphylactic Shock

If it's determined that your baby is allergic to bee stings or insect bites, you will have to do all you can to keep your baby from coming into contact with the types of insects they are allergic to. Make sure they wear shoes all the time, and keep their skin covered with light clothing. If your child weighs less than 33 pounds, they cannot use a fast-acting injector. However, if they are heavier than 33 pounds, your pediatrician might recommend that they have an injector with them at all times. 

Anaphylaxis is a serious condition that can lead to death. If your baby has a severe reaction to a bee sting or insect bite, you must call for help immediately and do all you can to prevent another allergic reaction. You may even want to visit a professional allergist from a company like Oak Brook Allergists.

Share